Over the course of several months, a series of national and international thought leaders will visit Charlotte and work with residents and leaders to move the needle on key issues related to the city’s built environment. Through Building Community; People + Places + Partners, we will educate and train neighborhood leaders, work hands-on with municipal staff and elected officials, and inform and engage residents. We will have frank discussions about what we can do together and how we can do it. We will develop a shared toolbox of methods and strategies with which to implement new ideas.
Specific goals include:
• Make clear the connection between a great built environment and a city that works for everyone.
• Provide a policy framework for critical city building topics
• Introduce tools to use in the new Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), currently being developed by the City of Charlotte
• Educate community and neighborhood leaders about how various aspects of the built environment and the UDO relate to each other
• Introduce strategies that neighbors, leaders, and developers can use to capitalize on the assets in their community.
• Build better advocates for a great built environment at all levels of leadership